This is an early opportunity to ensure that all staff start the year up-to-speed with phonics. This one day course is for literacy subject leaders, teachers and teaching assistants who have limited knowledge of the teaching and learning of phonics or those who just need a refresher. It will use strategies from “Letters and Sounds” as the main resources for approaching the phonics elements of the National Curriculum.
The day will comprise three sessions:
Will focus on securing phonic subject knowledge – terminology, progression, enunciation and assessment.
Will focus on children’s progression in phonics – key principles of phonic teaching and learning and strategies to support development at each phase of learning (or Phonic Phase).
Will focus on ways to support children’s independent application of phonics in reading and writing.
All delegates to bring a copy of:
• Letters and Sounds
• National Curriculum for English
• Phonics assessment and tracking data
£150 per person for all Peterborough schools and Cambridgeshire LA maintained schools
£170 per person for other LA schools and Independent schools
Please note: Failure to attend, without notification prior to the event, will incur a full charge.
• To improve subject knowledge and teaching of phonics
• To support the learning of phonics at specific phases through interactive and engaging teaching strategies and activities
• To further develop the application of phonics to reading and writing
• To improve assessment of phonics and tracking of progress